Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Bartering......

Mrs. Hill Billy called me from Costco this morning.......wanting to know if I had any extra eggs or if she should buy some...turns out she had heard about my little egg problem last week.....I told her no....sorry ... I just used the last 6 eggs in a batch of vanilla ice cream this morning.....so sorry but..... NO EGGS FOR YOU.......
But......I do have some yummy organically grown heirloom tomatoes sitting on my counter waiting to be made into sauce.......and I'd be happy to trade you some of those....for let's say a 4lb bag of powered sugar and a 3lb brick of cream cheese.....
......yes I think I could part with a few of them....
"Oh....I'd LOVE some tomatoes" Mrs. Hill Billy said....
"I'll be there in about an hour......"
Here is Mrs. Hill Billy......she is holding her bartered tomatoes....in what appears to be a black velvet cloak......I had no idea today was Halloween......and anyway...if she were going door to door offering bartered heirloom tomatoes...I don't think I'd take one from her....kinda reminds me of the witch with the apple in Snow White and the 7 dwarfs.....

Anyway.....Lucky for me.....Mrs. Hill Billy just returned from a trip down south....and brought me presents. A Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Catalog, pictures and a jar of plum jam from her mother's farm, tomatillo seeds her mother saved for me and some sort of chigger or tick salve.....cause apparently I am showing the early stages of lime disease?

If your friend went on a trip what would they bring you back?

**** I also made a point to ask if she liked acorn squash.....seeing as I will have plenty of those to barter in another month or so.....and YES.....she'd love some of those too!

Oh...and I have corn stalks to decorate the front porch with too.....
this no spending money on food deal may work out after all.....only 120 days to go....

1 comment:

I LOVE comments BUT if you know who we are...due to the fact that we are currently enrolled in the international witness relocation program because of a moon shining incident in Dingle, Ireland involving 3 Mutton, a pair of red shoes and a road flare .... please do not reveal our personal information.... You know.... like names, places, or our favorite brand of toilet paper :) Hey, thanks!