Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Hubbard Squash + Apples = YUM

For this recipe I needed 2 tart apples....
I was planing on going down to the public park to forage for free apples again this fall....
(You would not believe all the free apples that go unpicked.... last year we were able to pick 52lbs of free apples....Well, actually we could of picked more ....but that was all we could carry)

This year sadly.....
there were no apples to be found....
Mrs. Hill billy and I checked last week and either

A) Someone picked the trees clean
or
B) It was an off year

.....who knows....
and really ...if someone needed all those apples...
fine by me.

And anyways, my mom called last week to let me know a friend of hers dropped off a case of apples from her local commercial orchard for me...because she knows how much I like to make applesauce...
so in the end...there will be applesauce...I just have to go pick up the apples....

***
But I still needed 2 tart apples for this next recipe...
so I picked up 2 Granny Smith apples at the grocery....cost .78 cents
BUT....
then I looked down at my receipt and noticed I just scored a $2.00 off coupon on my next purchase if I called the 1-800 number and answered a few (17 actually) questions....

and so I did....
Yipee...my .78 cent apples were *free* and I added $1.22 back to my grocery money column.
How cool is that?

Okay...without much further ado....here is Hubbard Squash recipe #2

Hubbard Squash Apple Casserole


actually the recipe was for butternut squash but I'm a rebel and used Hubbard instead...

First thinly slice the squash and apples.....

Layer the apple and squash slices in a buttered dish...
Combine the brown sugar,butter, flour and spices and crumble over the squash...

Cover tightly with foil and bake for 50 minutes...

Remove foil...let cool.....and eat.

Oh momma....it''s a good one.

The handsome husband and I both really liked this recipe and I will definitely be making it again....I think you could use just about any hard squash with it. The handsome husband's only dislike with this dish was that "the squash and apples should be cubed...not sliced like a pie".....hmmmm I had no idea he was a texture freak....but whatever...if the man wants his squash cubed next time I will cube it....

Stay tuned....As the Squash Turns Part 3 continues tomorrow.....
we still have 4lbs of this thing left.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments BUT if you know who we are...due to the fact that we are currently enrolled in the international witness relocation program because of a moon shining incident in Dingle, Ireland involving 3 Mutton, a pair of red shoes and a road flare .... please do not reveal our personal information.... You know.... like names, places, or our favorite brand of toilet paper :) Hey, thanks!